Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey

Fix Her UpAuthor: Tessa Bailey
Title: Fix Her Up
Series: Hot & Hammered #1
Publisher: Avon
Published: 2019
Genre: Contemporary romance
Links: Book Depository / Bokus / Adlibris / Goodreads

Okay, where to start with this one. Hm... Let's start with what I liked. I loved Georgie and at moments I also liked Travis, especially when he defended her. I did not see the complete point with the "fix up", but I felt like it was made for her sake and not anyone else (no matter how much she wanted Travis to see her) so that's a good thing. I love her being a clown, of all things. I don't think I've ever read about clowns in romance before..? It awesome, in any case!
The love Georgie has for her family is also lovely to read, even though I hated Stephen (Steven? Damn audiobooks), because he was frankly a misogynist dick. (Who the hell comes to fetch his wife just because she wasn't home when he came out of the shower? Really?)
Bailey is also great at writing funny conversations and banter and I found myself laughing and chuckling throughout the book. It also has steam. A lot of steam.

What troubled me with the book was multiple things. For one, I didn't feel it for Travis. Shitty childhood, sure, but that wasn't enough for me to feel anything for him. For another, like I read in another review, there's so many tropes going on that it's hard to make it all connect. I would have been happy with maybe two connecting, but there's a lot going on. 
Also the sappiness. I can handle a bit of sapp, but this is just too much. The book got boring about halfway through and it never really recovered. Sometimes it felt like the book didn't even have a plot, just a whole lot of pining and sappiness..? I don't know, it didn't really work for me, is all. And I hate, absolutely hate, the endearment "baby girl". That's what you call a child, not a grown ass woman (who hates being treated as a child?!) and especially during sexy times. I mean, come on. Do you want her to call you Daddy at the same time? Yuck. Sorry, I just hate it and it bothered me during the entire book.

So, this is a cute but steamy book with questionable sappiness and my entire rating goes to Georgie and her girls, basically.

2.5 of 5 cheese plates

/ Denise

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Epic love story, Jane Austen-style by Huda Fahmy

Author: Huda Fahmy Title:  That Can be Arranged Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing Published: 2020 Genre: Graphic novel Links:  Adlibris  /  Bokus  /  Goodreads Huda Fahmy brings it once again. Having loved her Instagram-feed and previous book [book:Yes, I'm Hot in This: The Hilarious Truth about Life in a Hijab|40538900], of course I had to read this one as soon as it arrived at work. Judge me all you want, but I read this instead of working (although I do work as a librarian, so it could count as work), as I did with the other one. And this was good. I loved little Huda and her parents. I also liked how she described her thoughts about marriage, going from longing for it, to being kind of reluctant, to believing getting married was what defined her, to realizing a man and marriage doesn't make her a better or more worthy person. I loved her discovery of Jane Austen-novels and how she could see herself, her family and her situation through these stories. Her meet

Brännmärkt av Lizette Edfeldt

Författare: Lizette Edfeldt Titel: Brännmärkt Serie: Imperiet Förlag:  Modernista Genre: Dystopi Länkar:  Bokus  /  Adlibris  /  Goodreads På Instagram pågår just nu ett ReadAThon i form av @fantastikathon , som har för avsikt att få en att läsa mer svensk fantastik. Vilket ju är toppen, för jag vill läsa mer av svenska författare. Och här är jag nu, med min tredje utlästa bok (eller ja, andra utlästa, då den tredje var en novell, men detaljer) och jag är så positivt överraskad. Brännmärkt fångade mitt intresse redan när den kom ut, men då var jag trött på dystopier och läste väldigt lite svensk litteratur. På beskrivningen lät den som en intrigfylld YA-dystopi, helt enkelt. Och det är vad den är. Jag tycker att boken kan mäta sig med de amerikanska YA-dystopierna som kräktes ut för några år sedan. Vi har en helt ny dystopisk värld, en överklass som styr med järnhand och flera underklasser som svälter. Hemligheter, familjen framför allt, dödlig vänskap, förbjuden kärlek. Prec

Vargblod av Sara Dalengren

Författare: Sara Dalengren Titel: Vargblod Serie: Flocken #3 Förlag: Seraf Förlag Genre: Paranormal Romance Länkar:  Bokus  |  Adlibris  |  Goodreads Det är fantastiskt roligt när man läser en serie och den bara blir bättre ju längre man läser. Denna tjocka bok med Stefan och Lukas som huvudkaraktärer hade mig uppe sent på kvällarna för att jag inte ville sluta läsa. Lukas är definitivt min favoritkaraktär och Stefan passar bra ihop med honom. Något jag gillade i denna bok var dilemmat som Lukas stod inför. Att hålla saker och ting hemliga för de man bor med och som har räddat ens liv (i stort sett, eftersom de gav honom någonstans att bo) kan bli fel och kännas jäkligt onödigt när man läser det. Tycker jag i alla fall. Men denna gång är det verkligen Lukas osäkerhet i uppväxten och hans bror som gör det hela trovärdigt. Han är ändå en ärlig, omtänksam själ som tänker på andras välmående före sitt eget (även om han är fast i sitt huvud en hel del). Relationen som byggs mell